Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth SIBO
Your entire gastro-intestinal GI tract, including the small intestine, normally contains a relatively low amount of bacteria. Sometimes, not only is an abnormally large number of bacteria found in the small intestine but it is also very similar to the bacteria usually found in the colon. This condition is called Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth or SIBO.
The GI tract is a continuous muscle tube that digests food and propels it through the small intestine all the way to the large intestine or colon. When something interferes with this normal activity, it allows bacteria to stay longer time in the small intestine and this may result in this bacteria moving backwards from the large intestine or colon into the small intestine.
Sibo or Bacterial Overgrowth in the Small Intestine symptoms include:
- excessive gas
- abdominal bloating and extension
- abdominal pain
Severe cases of SIBO may interfere with digestion and lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. People are known to lose weight, and suffer with all sorts of body aches and fatigue.
It's advisable to diagnose SIBO early as it can result in leaky gut as well as neurological and muscular diseases.
Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth SIBO responds very well to natural supplements that help reduce the symptoms.
Dr. Pam recommends:
- Genova Lab's SIBO Breath Test (GSD5000)is a good place to start. The non-invasive breath test is done at home and successfully identifies whether there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the small intestine or not. Once identified, the necessary steps may be taken to resolve it.
- Several supplements help reduce symptoms of SIBO.
- Unlike Inulin and FOS, Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum PHGG is the one Prebiotic that doesn't feed bad bacteria associated with SIBO and may be used successfully to increase probiotic diversity. Perfect Pass Prebiotic (PSN1000) is odorless and tasteless and easy to take in water.
- PerfectPass Probotic (PSN2000) is a human strain, bacillus formula, that does survive through stomach acid 100% of the time. It's very suitable for those suffering with SIB0
- Primal Defense, (GAN1036) a soil based probiotic or Dr Ohhira’s Professional Probiotics (OMX1030) are other probiotics that can help to alleviate symptoms.
- Effective antimicrobials include Oregano oil (NHS1000), Grapeseed extract (CVR0621), Olive leaf extract (OLE1000) and Berberis (VTN2541).
- The SCD Specific Carbohydrate Diet is an excellent way to eliminate those foods that tend to feed the bad bacteria. "Breaking the Vicious Cycle"(GOT1000) the book by Elaine Gottschall gives you information as well as recipes.
- Perfect Pass Digestive Enzymes help digest all kinds of food when taken with meals and will also reduce inflammation when taken between meals. Also consider taking Proteolytic Enzymes on a regular basis, They are antiinflammatory in nature and help repair the gut lining (DWL1400).
- If you need help selecting the right supplements for you, call for a consultation - toll free in the US 877-240-7528 PST 10-3