Essential Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are the "good fats" that we hear so much about in the media because of their positive health benefits. They are essential to human health, but cannot be synthesized by the body and must be obtained through diet.
There are two types of fatty acids essential to humans for good health: Omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid) and Omega-6s (lino lenic acid). These should not be confused with fats that merely provide the body with fuel.
Essential fatty acids are needed for biological process are very useful in inflammatory conditions like Crohn's Disease and Colitis, IBS, Leaky Gut, Diverticulitis and Arthritis, strengthening the immune system and decreasing allergy responses.
Essential Fatty Acids EFAs are also known to lower high blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels, regulate diabetes by stabilizing insulin and blood sugar levels, and can relieve water retention.
Dr Pam recommends:
- Pro Omega 2000 Nordic Naturals is a synergistic blend of natural substances shown to support brain and cardiovascular health. It has a natural lemon flavor with nearly double the omega-3s as Nordic Naturals best-selling ProOmega.
- Essential Formulas Dr Ohhira's Vegetarian living oils provide an ideal balance of Omega-3, Omega-6, (especially GLA) and Omega-9 Oleic Acid. It builds hormones, maintains nervous system function, promotes the immune system, and assures that cell membranes let the nutrients in and the wastes out.
- Nordic Naturals ProOmega & D3 provides a high concentration of essential omega 3 fats with added natural vitamin D. This supports a strong immune function and bone health.
- Nordic Naturals ProDHA is a high concentration supplement that contains added strawberry flavor in both the gelatin and fish to ensure adequate intake of the essential brain nutrient, DHA.
- Nordic Naturals ProOmega with LDL contains pure Omega-3, and is purified through molecular distillation. It has high concentrations of EPA and DHA plus red yeast rice, Co Q 10 and Vitamin E that supports cardiovascular and mental health.
- Garden of Life Omega 3 Oceans goes beyond Omega 3 fish oil and gives the added benefit of OmegaXanthin, which provides two ocean based anti-oxidants for amplified benefits.