Crohn's Disease is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), that causes inflammation, swelling and irritation to any part of the gastrointestinal tract -- but the most common form of the disease affects the ileum which is at the end of the small intestine and the colon. This inflammation reaches well into the lining of the affected area and causes swelling, discomfort and pain. It can also cause diarrhea.
There are five different types of Crohn’s disease, which is also called Ileitis or Enteritis and is difficult to diagnose because it's symptoms often mimic other intestinal disorders like ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Both Crohn’s and Colitis cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Once diagnosed, the inflammation in Crohn's Disease can be controlled naturally by using prebiotics, probiotics, natural anti-inflammatories, diet and other supplements that all help to improve digestive function. Read more Crohn's Disease and nutrient deficiencies in crohns and Sequelae of Crohn's Disease like osteoporosis and cancer and infertility in crohns patients.
Dr. Pam Recommends:
- Take the easy-to-use, home stool test from Genova Lab. Genova Lab's CDSA 2.0 Stool Test (GSD2100) is able to diffentiate between IBS and IBD and so confirm whether you have Inflammatory Bowel Disease or not.
- Reduce inflammation using natural supplements with no side effects: Serrapeptase , FYI from Garden of Life and Aloe Complete are all effective options. They have no side effects. They are not NSAIDS drugs that do have serious long, term effects.
- The recent Human Microbiome Project Research confirms that diversity of the probiotic population is the critical criterion for optimizing the strength of each person's unique microbiome. Taking Prebiotics are the best way to achieve this. Perfect Pass Prebiotics are made from PHGG, partially hydrolyzed Guar Gum, that has no side effects and does not feed bad bacteria.
- The same research supports the preference for bacillus human strain probiotics as the type of probiotic that will survive stomach acid 100% of the time. Perfect Pass Probiotic, fits the requirements. It contains a therapeutic number of strains to encourage decrease of bad bacteria and so promote diversity. It is not killed by stomach acid and it is found in nature in the identical form as in the gut and thus regarded as a commensal probiotic.
- Consider taking immnumodulating, supportive probiotics in therapeutic amounts: Dr Ohhira's prize winning Probiotic Professional Formula OMX, VSL#3 , or Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra are all possibilities.
- Visbiome Probiotic is a medical food used for the dietary management of inflammatory bowel disease IBD, irritable bowel syndrome IBS and pouchitis, using the same concentration, proportions, and production technology as VSL#3. This is the original researched VSL#3 formula. It comes in Visbiome capsules (VIS1000) or Visbiome flavored packets (VIS2000) tht containe 450 billion strains.
- Take green food supplement daily The probiotics are more effective and will thrive in a digestive tract with a pH that is more 'alkaline' rather than too acidic. Perfect Food capsules or Powder or Perfect Pass Immune Multi.
- Modify your eating and also by modifying your food intake. The book Breaking the Vicious Cycle gives you an easy way to do this.
- Think about monitoring your pH on a daily basis with a simple litmus paper test - you want to keep your pH at around 6.5.
- Other supplements that are extremely beneficial and recommended are: digestive enzymes like Perfect Pass Digestive Enzymes (PSN3000) or Omegazyme and Wobenzym, Slippery Elm, Essential Fatty Acids, l-glutamine (Glutagenics), Leaky Gut Formula and Zinlori.
You may continue with the medications you are taking and add the supplements one by one. As symptoms improve, slowly use the natural supplements in their place.