Colitis and Crohn's Disease are both Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD). Colitis attacks the large intestine and causes inflammation of the colon, caecum and rectum. Colitis is sometimes acute, which means it comes on suddenly but more often it is a chronic disease that develops and gets worse over time. Once it is diagnosed, it is usually referred to as ulcerative colitis.
The symptoms of colitis will often depend on the cause and the reasons why it is getting worse. The most common are stomach pain, cramps, loss of appetite fatigue, diarrhea, bloating and an urgency to use the bathroom. It may also include tenderness in the abdomen, weight loss, fever, and blood in the stools. A colonoscopy will often reveal a redness and irritation of the inner surface of the colon, ulcers and even bleeding.
Colitis reacts well to natural healing. Read more Ulcerative Colitis Information for colitis disease of colon, Collagenous Colitis and Lymphocytic Colitis FAQs and Ulcerative Colitis Information for Ulcerative Colitis Disease.
Dr. Pam Recommends:
- Use PerfectPass Probiotic a spore bacillus probiotic supplement, 1-2 daily designed to encourage diversity of good bacteria and clean up bad bacteria. Also use 4 gm PerfectPass Prebiotic 2 x daily that is the natural fertilizer to the probiotic.
- Use Visbiome probiotics or VSL#3 probiotics in therapeutic doses, in the amount that will reduce your acute symptoms significantly. You cannot overdose. Research studies verify how effective Visbiome or VSL#3 are in reducing symptoms of colitis.
- Use the litmus paper test to evaluate your first urine stream in the morning to ensure a digestive tract that has a ph of 6.5. Probiotics thrive in that environment.
- Make changes in your diet to ensure and Alkaline pH in your digestive system. Elaine Gottschall's Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) Breaking the Vicious Cycle "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" helped her daughter, who is symptom-free from her severe chronic ulcerative colitis.
- Add recommended supplements like Essential Fatty Acids, digestive enzymes like Perfect Pass Digestive Enzymes, Omegazyme and Wobenzym, Aloe Complete , l-glutamine (Glutagenics), Intestinal Repair Capsules, zinc and Slippery Elm.
- Leaky Gut Formula has been shown to be extremely helpful.
- Also consider Organic B12 Spray that is now available.
- If you're not sure whether you have ulcerative colitis or not, Genova Labs CDSA 2.0 (GSD2100) will tell you the difference between Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- If you need help selecting which supplements are right for you, call toll free 877-240-7528 PST 10-3 to set up a consultation.