Carrie Johnson represented the United States at the 2012 Olympics in pursuit of the gold medal in women's kayaking. But while she battled for the gold, Johnson continues to fight another battle: Crohns disease.
In a recent SI.com interview, Johnson talked openly about her illness. Johnson explained that one of the very first things she did after being diagnosed with Crohns disease in 2003, was to do research about the disease that she had very little knowledge of!
Thousands of people are diagnosed with Crohns disease each year and more than 1 million people currently suffer from Crohn's disease. However, many suffer in silence, as the effects of Crohn's are often not openly discussed. Read more
New research published in the International Journal of Food Microbiology has paved the way for the novel use of olives as a source of probiotics in our diets. Probiotics are the healthy bacteria necessary for gut health, balancing intestinal flora, and stimulating protective functions of the digestive system. They are essential for a healthy gut, particularly when an antibiotic that strips the digestive system of its natural bacteria is being used.
Due to their oral administration, probiotics must be able to withstand the harsh physical and chemical environment of the human gastro-intestinal tract, and need to be ingested daily in large quantities to have a beneficial effect. As varying probiotics react differently in the digestive environment, the challenge is not just introducing them to the body, but introducing specific bacteria types that can survive and flourish in the very specific GI conditions. Read more
Making some tiny changes to your routine may help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes, a disease that's expected to strike one in three Americans by the year 2050.
Here are 3 simple ways to help defeat diabetes:
1. FLEX YOUR MUSCLES: According to UCLA researchers, any type of physical activity is great for warding off diabetes, but strength training seems to be especially important. Pumping iron builds muscle, and the more muscle mass you have, the less likely you are to develop prediabetes. Arun S. Karlamangla, M.D., Ph.D explains that being buff appears to help your body respond to insulin better. Read more
- BodyPure CTS7- 7 Toxin Analysis - Test #1 on SALE $17.99
- BodyPure CTS15- 15 Toxin Analysis - Test #2 on SALE $29.99
- GET BodyPure CTS7- 7 Toxin Analysis - Test #1 for FREE when you purchase BodyPure2x - Detox Foot Pads - 30 Pads on SALE $89.95
- 20% OFF on ALL Nordic Naturals Products: USE Coupon Code: CPN1012
- BUY 1 & GET 50% OFF on a 2nd bottle of Garden of Life Lovely Legs 30 Caps- USE Coupon
- BUY 1 & GET 50% OFF on a 2nd box of Garden of Life Probiotic Smile 60 Mints- USE Coupon