In This Issue
Proceptin for male infertility
Effective Weight Management
Symptoms of a heart attack?
Danger of heartburn drugs
Did you know?
Proceptin effective for male infertility
Proceptin is the first physician-formulated preparation formulated to provide many of the nutrients which have been shown to support successful male reproductive function. It has been developed as a result of over 60 research studies addressing the role of antioxidants, and amino acid precursors in male reproductive function.
Proceptin�, a nutritional supplement, may reduce the adverse effects of oxidative stress on reproductive tissue and organs, and potentially improve sperm function.
Proceptin 120 caps
Effective Weight Management Program.
Leo Galland has developed a fat-resistance diet based on cutting-edge research at premier institutions such as Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Rockefeller universities.
He maintains that weight loss isn't only, or even mainly, about calories. We gain weight when natural weight-control mechanisms are disrupted by inflammation, a low-grade inflammatory response caused by poor diet and environmental toxins. Eating the proper foods can eliminate chronic inflammation and reprogram the body's weight-loss mechanisms. When people gain weight, the extra fatty tissue produces leptin, a hormone that suppresses appetite and speeds metabolism. In theory, this should cause people to lose the extra weight. Instead, inflammation in fat tissue and blood vessels stimulates the production of anti-inflammatory chemicals. These chemicals disable leptin's ability to suppress appetite and speed metabolism. This is called leptin resistance.
He advocates a program to combat leptin resistance:
- Eat Anti-inflammatory Foods. The focus of the diet is not on calorie control. The focus is on eating foods that supply anti-inflammatory nutrients. A major problem with most weight-loss diets is the use of artificial sweeteners and fat substitutes to reduce calories. Substituting these products for real foods deprives your body of key anti-inflammatory nutrients.
Eat fish at least three times weekly. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Fish that are rich in omega-3s and relatively low in mercury include anchovies, conch, herring (fresh or pickled, not creamed), mackerel (Atlantic only), sablefish, salmon (fresh, canned or smoked, wild or farmed), sardines (Atlantic), sturgeon and tuna (fresh or canned bluefin-not albacore).
Balance essential fatty acids. The optimal ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3s is about 4:1. The ratio in the average American diet is closer to 20:1. A relative excess of omega-6 fats in tissues leads cells to produce excessive levels of pro-inflammatory chemicals called prostanoids. The best approach is to decrease intake of omega-6s and increase intake of omega-3s.
- Foods high in omega-3s: Fish, flaxseed, walnuts and beans-navy, kidney and soybeans.
- Foods high in omega-6s: Red meat, chicken, milk, eggs and most vegetable oils, including corn, sunflower and safflower.
Cut back on unhealthy fats. Saturated fat-primarily found in beef, pork, lamb, dairy products and poultry skin - should be limited to no more than 10% of total calories. Don't eat any trans fat. This means avoiding any foods made with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. These include most commercial baked goods and some fast foods. Both saturated fat and trans fat greatly increase levels of inflammatory chemicals.
- Get 25 grams of fiber daily. A high fiber diet helps control appetite and reduce inflammation. A study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that people who consume the most fiber have lower levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), which indicates the presence of inflammatory chemicals in the body. All plant foods contain some fiber. Among the best sources are beans, whole grains and vegetables.
- Eat colorful fruits and vegetables. Get at least nine servings daily. Produce with deep colors and intense flavors is high in flavonoids and carotenoids, chemical compounds that have anti-inflammatory effects.
- It is recommended to have at least one serving of blueberries, cherries or promegranates a day. These contain anthocyanins, which are among the most potent antiinflammatory agents.
- Choose alliums and crucifers. Crucifers are strong-flavored vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and kale. Alliums include onions and garlic. Both classes of vegetables reduce chronic inflammation and lower the risk of cancer, particularly breast cancer. Eat at least one serving of each daily.
Use only egg whites or unbroken egg yolks. If the yolk is broken, the cholesterol is oxidized and produces inflammatory by-products. Poached or boiled whole eggs are fine. Avoid scrambled eggs and whole-egg omelets.
- Favor herbs and spices that are potent anti-inflammatories. These include basil, cardamom, cilantro, cinnamon, clove, ginger, parsley and turmeric. Use them every day. Avoid chiles, cayenne pepper and jalapenos, which can trigger inflammation.
Dr Galland proposes this 3 stage diet program:
- Stage 1.
Eat as much as you want of such foods as arugula, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, leeks, onions, romaine lettuce, scallions, shiitake mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes-as well as blueberries, cherries, grapefruit and pomegranates.
Eat three four-ounce servings of high-protein foods each day which helps suppress appetite and maintain muscle mass.
Choose fish, egg whites, poultry and plain, fat-free yogurt.
Meat lovers can eat red meat twice a week but should marinate beef with cherry or pomegranate concentrate (this reduces inflammatory chemical compounds produced during cooking).
One to two tablespoons each day of nuts or seeds (especially flaxseed, walnuts and almonds).
During this stage, get 25 grams of fiber, primarily from vegetables.
Avoid grains, even whole grains, becaused they tend to raise insulin levels, increasing leptin resistance.
Stay in this stage for about two week. It is possible to lose six to 10 pounds.
- Stage 2.
It is the long-term weight-loss part of the diet.
Stay on this until you reach your goal weight.
It is possible to lose one to two pounds per week.
In addition to the Stage 1 foods, add some whole grains, such as oats and brown rice, and beans, lentils and other legumes (about two to three cups a week of each).
- Stage 3
is the lifelong maintenance phase.
Increase variety by adding potatoes, pasta and whole-grain breads.
Perfect Food 75 caps
Do you know the symptoms of a heart attack?
The classic heart attack symptoms are:
Women are more likely than men to have atypical symptoms -
- chest pain or discomfort that may also be felt in the neck or left arm and
- may be accompanied by nausea.
- shortness of breath,
- profound fatigue,
- racing heart,
- burning stomach.
Cardio Spray Vitamin
Drugs for heartburn and reflux disease increase risk of intestinal infections.
Sandra Dial, MD. warns that medications like Tagamet (cimetidine), Nexium (esomeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole), and Zantac (ranitidine) suppress the stomach acid that fights bacteria. The side effect results in a two to threefold increase in risk of a Clostridium difficile bacteria infection, which can cause diarrhea, colitis and other intestinal problems. One way to assist in killing off C. difficile bacteria is to be careful about washing your hands.
Acid Defense 360 mg
Did you know?
- Ginkgo may prevent cancer.
Daniel William Cramer, MD, ScD, professor of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive biology at Brigham and Women's Hospital - Harvard Medical School, Boston, presented his study at the American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting. His study of 1,389 women found that taking a standard daily dose of Gingko for at least six months decreased ovarian cancer risk by 60% or more and slowed growth of cancer cells in the lab by up to 80%.
- Broccoli may prevent blindness
Paul Talley, MD. tells us that Sulforaphane, the naturally occurring antioxidant in broccoli and broccoli sprouts, protects the eye from damage caused by the sun's ultraviolet rays. This damage is believed to be a primary cause of age-related macular degeneration. Paul Talalay, MD, is professor of pharmacology and molecular sciences at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, and co-author of a study of antioxidant protection in cells, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA.
- You can freshen your breath with a cup of tea.
Polyphenols found in green and black tea inhibit growth of odor-causing bacteria.
Drinking one to two cups of tea a day can help keep your breath fresh says Christine D. Wu, PhD, professor of periodontics and associate dean for research, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry.
- Birth control pills increase heart attack risk.
Jean Patrice Baillargeon, MD, professor of internal medicine, department of medicine, endocrine division, University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, and lead researcher of a meta-analysis of 14 studies of women taking oral contraceptives between 1980 and 2002, published the finding in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. They found that women who take low-dose birth control pills are twice as likely to have heart attacks or strokes as women who don't take them. Especially at risk are women who are:
Researchers believe that the risk disappears after birth control pills are discontinued.
- over 35 years old
- have a high risk of heart disease or diabetes
- are overweight or
- have polycystic ovary syndrome
- why urine smells 'funny' after eating asparagus?
Asparagus contains mercaptan, a sulfur compound that also is found in onions, garlic, rotten eggs and the secretions of skunks. In the case of asparagus, the odor isn't produced until the compound has been broken down by digestive enzymes. Interestingly enough, not everyone has the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan, so some people can eat asparagus without having their urine smell afterward. A study in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that less than half of British people tested produced the odor, while all French people tested did produce the odor.
Green Tea Instant Mix - Original Unsweetened 1 box
F.REE Shipping over $50
In Good Health.