What is the Importance of pH Levels?
You probably know that your body is made up of mostly fluids; water and blood. These fluids have an acid/alkaline balance, which is measured by the pH factor (potential hydrogen). This pH scale is used to determine if the levels are more acidic or more alkaline. Research has shown that it’s important for your body to maintain a neutral pH. For better health and well being there are many reasons why you want your bodies pH to be as close to neutral as possible.
How Does the pH Scale Work?
The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic. A pH greater than 7 is basic. The lower the pH number, the greater the acidity, and the higher the pH number, the greater the alkalinity.
An imbalanced pH may affect all your bodies major functions and systems such as breathing, circulation, digestion, hormonal production and proper blood flow. Inversely, when you improve the acid/alkaline balance of the body, you improve every other system in the body at the same time.
How is Your Bodies pH Level Determined?
The biggest contributors to your bodies pH levels is through what you eat and drink and how you react to stress. That’s right, there are certain foods which are alkaline and certain foods which are acidic. It’s important to take note what these foods are and try to balance it out throughout the day. One example that illustrates this is to drink an 8 oz. glass of lemon water first thing in the morning before your daily dose of coffee or tea. The reasoning behind this is that lemon water is very alkaline in the body and coffee and tea are both very acidic. This balances the two out.
How Are the Health Benefits of Maintaining Proper pH Levels?
When we maintain proper pH levels, injuries heal faster and health challenges improve more quickly because the body is oxygenated and therefore can detoxify and heal itself. If cells are energized in this way, we develop a stronger immune system and a lower propensity to develop diseases and cancer. Click here to read what Dr. Axe has to say on how improper pH levels negatively affect your health.
Which Foods are Alkaline and Which are Acidic?
Keep in mind that the foods must be organic because ALL pesticides are very acidic. It’s a good idea to keep acidic foods to a minimum of about 20% of your daily intake. The remaining 80% should be alkaline foods.
Acidic Foods-try to keep these to a minimum
- All Meats
- Grains – white flour products, wheat, corn, barley, oats and rye
- Dairy – milk, butter, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, cream, ice cream and milk
- Fruits – cranberries and pomegranates
- Veggies – artichokes, asparagus and garbanzo beans
- Caffeinated drinks – coffee, chocolate drinks and colas
- Nuts – peanuts, pistachios, walnuts and macadamia nuts
- Other factors that can effect your bodies acidity are lack of sleep, stress and anxiety
Alkaline Foods-These should make up majority of your daily intake
- Kefir and minimally processed yogurt products
- Most fruits
- Veggies – green beans, lima beans, string beans, sprouts, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, cauliflower, chard, chicory, chives, collard greens, cucumber, dandelion greens, dill, dulse, eggplant, endive, escarole, kale, garlic, leeks, legumes, lettuce, okra, onions, parsley, parsnips, sweet potato, bell peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, radish, rutabaga, turnips and watercress
- Seaweed, kelp and sea veggies
- Pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds
- Nuts – almonds, chestnuts and coconuts
How Can you Test Your Bodies pH Level?
By using litmus paper you can adjust your diet on a regular basis to continue to maintain your bodies proper pH level. This easy to do, at home test is taken with your first urine in the morning. The farther from perfect balance your pH travels, the more serious health problems may develop and the more difficult it may be to maintain a strong immune system.