So last night I decided to try a new recipe from the Ecology Health Center Cookbook. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the recipe was not only easy, but it was delicious too. One that I would definitely make again. Soon. Thought I would share it with you.
Meal Type: Dinner
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yield: serves 4
Chopped Meat with Cabbage.
Meat and Cabbage Casserole Ingredients:
2 tablespoons oil
1 pound chopped meat ( substitute ground chicken/ turkey if you do not eat red meat.)
1 large onion
1 raw potato grated
1/2 raw sweet potato grated (which was not part of the recipe, but I added it)
1 cabbage shredded
2 cups vegetable water
2 tablespoons butter (optional) – I used coconut oil
1 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds (optional)
salt to taste
Pepper to taste (optional) I added a dash of pepper
Meat and Cabbage Casserole Method:
1. Brown meat in a non stick pan, stirring constantly.
2. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, raw grated sweet potato-cook lightly.
3. Add water and salt (and pepper) and grate in the raw potato. Simmer until tender.
4. Meanwhile, wash, dry and shred cabbage.
5. Steam on rack or I boiled in hot water for 5-7 minutes.
6. Place cabbage in dish, add butter (or coconut oil) and caraway seeds (if used)
7. Make a ring of cabbage on serving dish and fill center with meat.
This recipe was simple and very easy to prepare. My kids loved it and even had a second helping.
This recipe can be found on page 127 in the fabulous sugar free, gluten free,
dairy free, yeast free Ecology Health Center Cookbook.