Dr. Pamela Nathan DHM L.Ac. has been delivering health to your front door since 1998. Happy patients in over 78 countries. Want an Appointment? Book Now

Free Shipping Over $69**

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.

Special Doctors for People with IBS

If you’ve been diagnosed with IBS, you may have symptoms that are worsening. You might need to see a doctor right away, but knowing the right doctor to consult with can be a challenge.

For anyone who has been diagnosed with IBS, you can first speak with your primary care doctor about treatments that he or she can handle in office. Then, if necessary, you can explore the possibility of talking with specialists like gastroenterologists or gastric surgeons.

The following are some of the doctors that are typically involved in the diagnosis and treatment of IBS. These doctors can likely answer any questions you have about the proper courses of treatment.

Family Medical Doctor

A family medical doctor, also called a family practice physician, is a doctor who specializes in the complete health of an individual and a family. This kind of doctor can be the best resource for the treatment of IBS, if it is not in advanced states that require surgery. A family medical doctor usually has at least 4 years of medical school and a 3-year residency behind her and is able to treat a variety of health conditions for adults and children, such as this disease.


An internist is another type of doctor who can treat people with this disease. Internists are medical doctors who specialize in treating adults with general health issues. They can also specialize in certain fields like sports medicine, adolescent health, cardiology, and gastroenterology. You can see an internist as your primary care doctor, and you can go to an internist for specific health concerns like IBS.


Gastroenterologists also treat these kinds of patients. These specialized doctors diagnose and treat many disorders of the digestive system. They typically work with patients who have gut illnesses like ulcerative colitis, hepatitis, Crohn’s disease, rectal or colon cancer, and IBS. A gastroenterologist can perform special tests in his office, like endoscopies, in order to diagnose or treat this illness. When necessary, a gastroenterologist may consult with surgeons for treatments.

In addition to the doctors we’ve mentioned, IBS patients can also be referred to general surgeons, or colon and rectal surgeons, for possible surgeries to alleviate IBS.

Copyright © 2018 Ecology Health Center / Crohns.net - HealthyLifeUSA.