Dr. Pamela Nathan DHM L.Ac. has been delivering health to your front door since 1998. Happy patients in over 78 countries. Want an Appointment? Book Now

Free Shipping Over $69**

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.

Special Doctors for People with Colitis

If you’re trying to find a doctor to help you with your colitis diagnosis, there are several you can turn to. You can opt to see a family doctor, gastroenterologist, or internist at first. And, if needed you may set up an appointment with a general surgeon, or a colon and rectal specialist surgeon.

Doctors who treat patients with colitis are often the same doctors who see people with Crohn’s, IBS, constipation and dysbiosis. They’re healthcare professionals who work in the field of gastroenterology and gut issues. These doctors are often credentialed members of health organizations, but sometimes they are naturopaths or alternative medicine providers.

Let’s take a look at some of the doctors who typically see patients with colitis:

Family Medical Doctor

A family medical doctor, also called a family practice physician, is a medical doctor who specializes in the complete and total health of an individual or a family. This type of doctor usually has undergone at least 4 years of medical school and a 3-year residency. Family medical doctors can treat a variety of health conditions, for adults and children. They may specialize in the care of older adults, people who play sports, or other groups of people. A family medical doctor can be board-certified by the Board of Family Practice, which is a board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialists.


An Internist can also treat people with colitis. An internist is a medical doctor who specializes in treating adults, and often further specializes in areas like adolescent medicine, cardiology, gastroenterology, hematology, or oncology. People can see an internist as their primary care doctor. They can go to him or her for regular checkups and for the treatment of illnesses. An internist can be board-certified by the American Bard of Internal Medicine, which is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.


Gastroenterologists can give treatment for colitis as well. These doctors specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the digestive system. They often work with patients who have ulcerative colitis, hepatitis, Crohn’s disease, and rectal or colon cancer. A gastroenterologist can perform special tests like an endoscopy, in order to diagnose or treat colitis. If necessary, a gastroenterologist may consult with surgeons for colitis treatment. Gastroenterologists are often board-certified by the Board of Internal Medicine.

In addition to these doctors, colitis patients may be referred to a general surgeon, or a colon and rectal surgeon, for possible surgery.

Copyright © 2018 Ecology Health Center / Crohns.net - HealthyLifeUSA.