You might have these antibodies if you've gotten blood from a donor or given birth before. There's also a chance your body could make them when your and your baby's blood types don't match.
Some of these antibodies can be passed from you into your baby's bloodstream, where they could do harm. Antibody testing lets you and your doctor know if you have them so you can take steps to protect your growing baby.
Why You Get Tested?
Your immune system makes antibodies to fight things it sees as "not you." Most of the time, that's great because antibodies usually target germs. And when you're pregnant, your immune system takes care of your baby, too. But if your red blood cells are different from your baby's, that may cause problems.
By far, the most common one is related to the + or - part of your blood type, called the Rh factor. Many people are Rh-positive, which means they have the Rh protein on their red blood cells. Rh-negative people don't. So they'll make antibodies to attack any Rh-positive blood cells that get into their body.
If prenatal vitamins are extra good for you when you’re pregnant, why not take them all the time?
These specially formulated multivitamins are designed to ensure pregnant women get all the extra vitamins and minerals essential for the development of a healthy baby and to meet the increased nutritional needs of mom, too. They also benefit women who are trying to become pregnant and new mothers who are breastfeeding.
Specifically, prenatal vitamins deliver a bigger boost of folic acid (between 800 and 1,000 micrograms a day, much more than the 400 micrograms a day needed by women of childbearing age) to help prevent neural tube defects and iron, which helps ward off anemia.
Dr. Pamela Nathan Recommends:
1. Comprehensive Parasitology Profile Test - the most technologically advanced procedures to accurately identify a wide range of protozoal parasites, including amoebae, flagellates, ciliates, coccidia and microsporidia
2. Perfect Pass ProBiotic - Feed your good bacteria every day and make your digestive system strong with simple soluble fiber formula which acts as a fertilizer for your good bacteria
3. Vitamin Spray Multi Vitamin and Mineral - essential nutrients to help build the immune system, while replacing all those pills with a convenient oral spray
4. B12 Vitamin & Folic Acid - Vitamin B-12 (Cobalamin) helps to maintain a healthy nervous system, and Vitamin B12 also helps in the prevention of pernicious anemia
5. Oceans 3 Healthy Hormones with OmegaXanthin - EPA and DHA from ultra-pure, fish oil with clinically studied botanicals that support women’s health and go beyond omega-3s
6. Vitamin Code RAW Iron - 22mg of gentle whole food iron and whole food vitamins C, B12 and folate to support iron absorption, utilization, blood, heart, eye, immune system and reproductive health