Crohns Colitis for Children
Crohn’s disease is a chronic, or long-term, illness. With Crohn’s disease, the intestine, or bowel, becomes inflamed and ulcerated, or marked with sores. Along with ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease is one of a group of diseases known as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Crohn’s disease usually affects the lower part of the small intestine, which is called the ileum. It can, though, occur in any part of the large or small intestine, stomach, or esophagus. It can even occur in the mouth. Crohn’s disease can happen at any age. It’s most common, though, in people who are between the ages of 15 and 30. Children and teens with Crohn’s disease face unique challenges. Crohn’s disease can stunt growth, weaken bones, and delay puberty.
What are the symptoms of Crohn’s disease in children and teens?
The symptoms of Crohn's disease depend on where the disease occurs in the bowel. They also depend on its severity. In general, symptoms can include:
- Chronic diarrhea
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss
- Abdominal tenderness
- Feeling of mass or fullness in the lower right abdomen
Dr. Pamela Nathan Recommends:
1. CDSA 2.0 Digestive Stool Analysis & Parasitology - "gold-standard" Lab analysis of digestive function and gut microbial ecology offers comprehensive non invasive risk assessment for colorectal cancer, differential diagnosis between inflammatory bowel disease (i.e. crohns disease and ulcerative colitis), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), reliable assessment of exocrine pancreatic function, and expanded yeast and parasite detection.
2. Perfect Pass ProBiotic, VSL#3 - Probiotics together and improve the diversity of your good bacteria daily
3. ProOmega Junior - high concentration of EPA and DHA—along with beneficial vitamin E—in a tasty‚ strawberry-flavored softgel which has been formulated specifically to support the healthy aging process and enhance the body's natural anti-inflammatory response
4. DHA Junior - DHA is essential for the proper development of the brain, eyes, and nervous and immune systems