Dr Julie Schourup M.D. makes these healthy lifestyle suggestions to her patients.
She says that health issues can be eliminated with attention to a few basic healthy principles:
Here are her Healthy Lifestyle Suggestions.
- Eat all the fresh fruits and vegetables desired
- Eat 1 portion protein/mead; 1 portion = the size of your palm; best proteins are beans, lentils, fish, fowl
- Eat 1 portion carbohydrate/meal; 1 portion = I tortilla OR I slice bread OR 1 cup cooked rice/noodles/grains OR 1 potato! Whole grains are best.
- Eat only 3 tbsp fat /day or less
- Avoid canned, packaged, pre-prepared meals, sodas, junk food, fast food
- Drink caffeine/alcohol products moderately
- Drink at least 2 Litres water/day
- Colored foods are preferable to white foods; i.e. brown rice/bread is more nutritious than white rice/bread, sweet potato/yam is more nutritious than white potato
- Eat as much variety as possible; every natural food has something to offer
Sleep enough to feel refreshed upon awakening; this is 8 hours/night for most people
Aerobic Exercise at least 30 minutes + 5 min warm-up + 5 min warm-down, minimum of 3 times/week
Do not smoke and avoid nicotine
Learn to de-stress /calm yourself in healthy ways; i.e. yoga, meditation, exercise, family time, take vacations, travel, relaxation exercises, acupuncture, massage, biofeedback, play music, spend time in nature…..