Happy patients in over 78 countries.
We match any price
on the internet
support when you
- SHOP ALL CATEGORIES
- Acid Reflux
- Crohn's Disease
- Crohn's Disease in Children
- Intestinal Permeability
- Lactose Intolerance
- Leaky Gut Disease
- Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Leaky Gut Syndrome - also known as Intestinal Permeability
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?Leaky Gut Syndrome (intestinal permeability) is not a disease but rather an intestinal dysfunction that underlies many different illnesses and symptoms. However, Leaky gut syndrome is actually poorly recognized but yet an extremely common problem.
There are several digestive functions that are affected simultaneously. Here are Product Suggestions to alleviate the symptoms.
What can I do for Leaking Gut?
Genova Intestinal Permeability Test will assist in making an accurate evaluation of leaky gut syndrome.
Microbiology evaluation home stool test shows overgrowth of fungus, bacteria and parasites. It will also tell you what natural products are effective in getting rid of them.
Digestive aids like:
What causes Leaky Gut Syndrome?Leaky gut syndrome results in an increase in the so-called permeability of the mucosal intestinal lining to luminal macro molecules. In other words, large spaces develop between the cells of the gut wall and this allows bacteria, toxins and food to leak in.
What happens next with Leaky Gut Syndrome?Once the lining of the digestive tract becomes inflamed or damaged it disrupts the way the digestive system functions. The spaces that open up allow large food antigens to be absorbed into the body, which are regarded as 'foreign' to the body's defense system. This results in the production of antibodies against what was once harmless and innocuous foods. This is how food allergies are created as well as new symptoms with target organs. e.g. arthritis and fibromyalgia.
Read more on Leaky Gut Syndrome (Intestinal Permeability).
Avoid Unhealthy Food if you have Leaky Gut Syndrome
Poor food choices not only cause Leaky Gut Syndrome but may lead to food sensitivities as well. Processed foods are low in nutrients and fiber and often contain lots of food additives, unhealthy fats and sugar. This creates an alkaline intestinal pH and a slow waste transit time.
- Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet,
- EHC Cookbook,
- Breaking the Vicious Cycle, and
- Crohns, Colitis, Celiac, IBS Recipe Book.
Symptoms of the Inflamed Gut associated with Leaky Gut Syndrome
- It does not absorb nutrients and foods properly so it may result in fatigue and bloating.
- When the detoxification pathways that line the gut are compromised, chemical sensitivity may also occur.
- The leaking of toxins also burdens the liver so that the body is less able to handle everyday chemicals.
- Carrier proteins are also damaged so nutrient deficienciesoccur which cause a variety of symptoms:
- Magnesium deficiency causes muscle spasmsand fibromyalgia
- Copper deficiency leads to high cholesteroland Osteoarthritis
- Zinc deficiency leads to malabsorption which causes hair loss and some eye disorders (macular degeneration)
Inflamed Gut Lining because of Leaky Gut Syndrome
When the gut lining is inflamed the protective coating of lgA (immunoglobulin A) is negatively affected. The body is unable to ward off bacteria, viruses and parasites as well as fungus and yeasts like Candida. These pathogenic bad organisms then pass from the gut cavity into the bloodstream and set up infection anywhere else in the body.
Formation of Antibodies with Leaky Gut Syndrome
Formation of antibodies may occur. They leak across and look similar to antigens on our own tissues. So when an antibody is made to attack it, it also attacks the tissue. This is possibly how auto-immune and chronic disease like Crohns Disease, Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, and Thyroiditis start.
Formation of Toxins with Leaky Gut Syndrome
Together these conditions encourage the formation of toxins. These toxins can also cause leaks. When food particles escape through the leaks into the blood stream, the immune system senses them as a threat (an antigen), and results in food sensitivities.
Leaky Gut Syndrome may cause confusion, memory loss, and 'brain fog'
In addition to the creation of food allergies, the bloodstream is flooded by bacteria, fungi and parasites that, in the healthy state, would not be able to penetrate the protective barrier of the gut. These microbes and their toxins, if present in large enough amounts, can overwhelm the liver's ability to detoxify. This results in symptoms such as confusion, memory loss, and 'brain fog'.
The following may lead to Leaky Gut Syndrome (Intestinal Permeability):
- Antibiotics - because they lead to the overgrowth of abnoraml flora in the gastrointestinal tract (bacteria, parasites,candida,
- Alcohol and caffeine (strong gut irritants)
- Foods and beverages contaminated by parasites like
Giardia lamblia, cryptosporidium, blastocystis hominis and others
- Foods and beverages contaminated by bacteria like helicobacter
pylori, klebsiella, citrobacter, pseudomonas and others
- Chemicals in fermented and processed food (dyes,
preservatives, peroxidized fats)
- Enzyme deficiencies (e.g. celiac disease, lactase deficiency causinglactose intolerance)
- NSAIDS(non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ASA, ibuprofen,
- Prescription corticosteroids (e.g. prednisone,
hydrocortisone, DepoMedrol, etc.)
refined carbohydrate diet (e.g. candy bars, cookies, cake,
soft drinks, white bread)
- Prescription hormones like the birth control pill
- Mold and fungal mycotoxins in stored grains, fruit and refined
- Dysbiosis and Gastrointestinal Disease
- Chemo-therapy and radiation therapy causing immune overload